Mica band heaters are one of the economical and efficient solutions to the heating needs of most applications. These heaters can attain an optimal sheath temperature of approximately 1000°F. However, you can successfully use them in several applications with the help of varied clamping mechanisms, electrical termination styles, and the ability to accommodate cutouts and holes.
Further, the mica band heater uses varied kinds of high-quality mica components. Manufacturers carefully select the thickness of every mica layer to balance the ease of heat transfer from a heating source to a machine barrel and the heating features of mica. The resistance wire used in the design of these heaters is not limited to the nichrome wire capabilities. In this case, varied alloys are considered for varied applications. Most importantly, manufacturers carefully design the internal winding of the heater to ensure uniform heat distribution. Also, manufacturers carefully design and round the mica band heater to optimize grip and optimize surface contact.
The external metallic protective sheath of the heater is designed using a special alloy that undergoes limited expansion when you heat the barrel. Such a difference in thermal expansion ensures that you can firmly grip the heater after energizing. That enhances heat transfer and also extends the life of the heater.
- Maximum sheath temperature- 425 °C
- Sheath material- made of galvanized iron and stainless steel
- Voltage- 120V and 240V
- Minimum size- 1-inch width and 2 inches diameter
- Wattage Tolerance +5%, -10
- Resistance tolerance +10%, -5%
- Watt density-7.0 W/cm2
Benefits of buying mica band heaters
Mica heaters have high insulation that helps to increase their efficiency and serve you for an extended period. When the insulation layer is thicker, the heater can withstand higher temperatures.
Variety of applications
The mica band heaters can be used in the pharmaceutical industries, container pipe and tank heating, blow molding machines, the food industry, plastic extruders, and injection molding machines. Foodservice warming pots, food, and candy extruders, extrusion die
Available in a variety of constructions
The ease of installation and maximum performance are the main considerations in terms of the construction style of a mica band heater. Below are the common construction styles of this heater:
- One-piece: It is used when a band heater is installed on a barrel without expanding it extensively.
- Two-piece– It is meant for easier installation of the heater. This option is ideal when you have a large barrel diameter.
- One-piece flexible- It is used in situations where it is impractical to have a two-piece construction. During installation, it becomes necessary to expand the heater. Such heaters are supposed to be opened at most twice.
- Reserve– used in applications where you need heating from inside the barrel. In this case, the outside shell is the heating surface, and all the clamps and terminations are situated on the internal part of the heater.
- Rectangular and square– the mica heater can be multi-sided, rectangular, or square to meet your specific needs.
- Conical– Are designed to fit unconventional forms. Heat transfer considerations will impose limitations on the general construction and design of these heaters.
- Partial– Are recommended where complicated holes or obstructions prevent a Mica band heater manufacturer from achieving complete coverage of the barrel surface.
When you want to buy heater bands, it is better to examine your heating needs. That makes it easier for you to select the best heater bands which match your needs and preferences. Remember, dealers will attempt to convince you that they offer the best heaters to help accomplish your tasks. However, most of them aim to make money and not to satisfy customer needs. Therefore, you need to undertake thorough research to buy the best product.